Located in what was once considered to be one of the finest stands of pine in the state of Michigan. The area became known as the settlement of Steam Mill, complete with saw mill and stage coach stop. In 1844, this steam mill was moved to Mahopac because of the plentiful water supply. Early 1900 maps show Mahopac as a platted area south of Mill Lake (Baldwin Road). At one time, it was the main route between Detroit and Lapeer and well traveled by horse and oxen carts. A post office was established in Mahopac in 1847. Thousands of feet of lumber were cut in the saw mill and sent throughout Oakland county for building homes and businesses.
Drawing: Doug Baker
Applique: Debby Akers