Situated on Long Lake (now Franklin Settlement), Pittman & Dean Ice Company opened for business in 1906. Cutting blocks of ice from the lake, hauling the cakes to storage houses where they were stored in sawdust until summer, and selling the blocks for people to use in their iceboxes. This commercial enterprise stayed in business until 1926 when the electric refrigerator gained in popularity.
Drawing: Doug Baker
Applique: Kathleen Pat Elliott