To serve and engage a thriving community of lifelong learners
To be known for more than books
The Lake Orion Library, established by the Lake Orion Women’s Club in 1926, was first located on the second floor of what is now the Village Hall. In 1929, Orion Township residents ratified a proposition to levy taxes in support of the Lake Orion Library, renaming it the Orion Township Free Public Library.
In 1940 it was moved to the Hemingway House on Lapeer Street in the Village of Lake Orion and grew until the floor boards sagged.
In 1964, the first formal library was built on M24 where the Michigan Catholic Credit Union now stands. Opening in 1965, this building met the community’s needs for the next 23 years.
In 1986, the Orion community passed a bond to create the new Orion Township Public Library to serve the next generation of Orion residents. The 29,000 square foot building opened at its current location on Joslyn Road in February of 1989. Designed to serve a population of 30,000 and house a collection of 100,000 volumes with a capacity for a 200,000 items per year circulation, the new Orion Township Public Library was spacious and inviting, offering quiet study areas, comfortable seating, meeting rooms for community gatherings, and the latest titles, as well as state-of-the-art computers and other new technologies.