TEEN ADVISORY GROUP SCHOLARSHIP
Sponsored by the Friends of the Orion Township Library
Students in senior standing who participate in the library’s Teen Advisory Group (TAG) are eligible to win one of two $500.00 scholarships sponsored by the Friends of the Orion Township Public Library. Applicants must submit the following forms and documentation:
- Application which can be downloaded below
- Proof of a minimum 2.5 GPA
- Personal Essay (requirements for the personal essay can be found below)
- Letter of Recommendation from a non-relative
- Acceptance letter from a four year university, community college, or trade school (or some kind of continuing education program after high school)
- Lake Orion residents or students who go to school in Lake Orion
- Public or private high school students who have achieved senior standing (12th grade)
- Students who have participated in the library’s Teen Advisory Group for one (1) year and regularly attend meetings (at least 5/9). Participation involves meeting with and advising the Teen Librarian on what is popular and current with teenagers. It also may involve volunteer projects.
- TAG meetings will run during the school year (September – May)
- Students that can show they are accepted to a four year university, community college, trade school or some other kind of continuing education after high school (Please provide a copy of your acceptance letter in your application packet).
- Students who have a minimum 2.5 GPA
Personal Essay Requirements:
Each applicant must submit a personal essay that should be approximately 500-words describing how libraries have helped them achieve their academic goals and how libraries have impacted his or her personal life. Essay must follow MLA guidelines and the applicant’s name should not appear anywhere on the essay itself.
Applications will be reviewed by a committee of three people consisting of one unbiased library staff member and two unbiased members of the Friends of the Orion Township Public Library. The Teen Librarian will not be a part of the scholarship committee but she will verify that all scholarship criteria has been met by each applicant.
Completed applications can be mailed or delivered to the attention of:
Orion Township Public Library
825 Joslyn Road
Lake Orion, MI 48362
The deadline for submissions is Friday, May 12, 2017 at 5:00 pm. Winners will be notified and the scholarship will be awarded at the Senior Academic and Honors Awards assembly at LOHS on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 6:30p.