Charter Township of Orion
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Matthew Gibb, Alice Young, Penny Shults, JoAnn Van Tassel, Neal Porter
BOARD MEMBERS ABSENT: John Steimel, Mark Crane
OTHERS PRESENT: None.
Supervisor Gibb welcomed the group and provided an overview of the meeting format and the steps taken to date to bring efficiency to the Orion Township staffing structure and addressed the following:
· Programs offered must be offset by revenue received.
· Health care changes.
· Wage freeze expected for 2011 and 2012.
Supervisor Gibb indicated the Building and Grounds Department budget increased to include half of Allan Feys’ wage and benefit package with the Supervisor’s budget decreasing accordingly.
The Supervisor instructed department heads to make all necessary purchases in 2010 and then expect to make no other purchases for some time.
Programs considered for possible loss of funding or revised budget include:
· No Haz
· Chloride Program
· Grounds and Maintenance
Discussion ensued regarding field maintenance responsibilities deferring back to the leagues, outsourcing all grounds maintenance, including flower beds and trails maintenance.
Other areas of consideration include:
· Contracting for janitorial services
· HR Contract review
· Computer Support changes
· Proposed Senior Center expense review
· Shortened work week
· Consolation of services with other community agencies
· Reduce Parks Programming on weekends
· Reduce Parks Programming where revenue does not exceed expenses
· Overall staffing changes
· Health Care and related issues
Trustee Van Tassel presented a comprehensive in house Assessing Department proposal that includes the implementation of a Level III Assessor and additional staffing.
Discussion ensued regarding the following:
· Michigan Tax Tribunal Defense strategy
· Staffing and responsibilities
· Oakland County Contract
· Contracting with other communities for Level IV Assessor
Trustee Van Tassel also asked that the Department Heads questionnaire be completed and returned to her.
Additional topics of discussion followed regarding:
· Trustee health care coverage
· League fees versus expenditures
· Possible Union Contract settlement date
· Labor Attorney services
· Dispatch service agreement
· Security access at Decker Park
· Fire hydrant contract
· Sheriff Contract
· School Liaison
· Marine Patrol
The Supervisor will bring budget proposals before the Board for consideration at future budget work sessions.
by Trustee Porter, seconded by Trustee Van Tassel, to adjourn. MOTION
CARRIED: 5-0. The meeting was adjourned at 6:30 p.m.